As I mentioned in my kallummakkaya fry recipe, here is another one.
- Fried Kallummakkaya/Mussels : 1 cup (small/medium)
- Garlic (cut into small pieces) : 1/2 cup
- Green chillies : 3-4 Nos
- Ginger (small pieces) : 1 teaspoon
- Gingelly Oil : 1 cup
- Red Chilli Powder : 4-5 teaspoons
- Vinegar : 1/2 cup
- Water : 1/2 cup
- salt :2 teaspoon (Vary as per your taste. Kallummakkaya is already fried by adding salt and spices)
- Mustard seed : 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreeks : 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilli whole : 1 No.
Pour 1/2 cup of oil in a pan and fry garlic till it changes color. Take out from the oil and keep aside. Repeat the same process with green chilli and ginger.
On heat, keep a pan and add 1/2 cup of oil (do not use the oil from step 1). Add mustard seeds and allow it to pop up. Add fenugreek, red chilli, chilli powder, salt and fry for around 1 minute. Add kallummakkaya, garlic, ginger and chillies and mix well.
Boil vinegar and water together and let it cool and add to the mix from step2.
Mix well and check the gravy. If you need more gravy add the same vinagar water combi with chilli and salt again.
Enjoy the real taste of the Malabar 😉