പരിഭാഷ ഉടന് പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കുന്നതാണ്
Olan is the mildest side dish in Kerala Sadya. The freshness of pure coconut milk with aroma of green chillies and curry leaves along with raw oil makes it a perfect item in Kerala cuisine. Usually white pumpkin is used as main vegetable in Olan. The black-eyed beans,long beans or jackfruit seeds etc can be used along with the main one. The taste varies little bit as per the variation of secondary vegetable as well.
Olan’s recipe is very simple and I hope you enjoy Olan and savor the coconut flavor 🙂
- White Pumpkin : 2 cups (sliced as shown in the picture)
- Long Beans : 1/4 cup
- Green Chillies : 2-3 Numbers (As per the spice)
- Curry Leaves : 3-4 leaves
- Coconut Oil : 2 teaspoons
- Coconut Milk : 3/4 cup (thick) [Grated coconut 1 1/2 cups & 1/2 cup of water. Varies as per the freshness of the coconut]
- Salt : 1/4 teaspoon (to taste)
- Water : 1/2 cup
In a vessel add white pumpkin, long beans, salt, water, 1-2 curry leaves and green chillies and cook (In pressure 1-2 whistle would be sufficient).
In a mixer grinder, grind grated coconut and 1/2 cup of water. Squeeze and strain to take out the milk and keep it aside.
On flame/heat, put the vessel from Step 1 and heat it again. Add curry leaves and coconut milk. Take out from the flame once it starts boiling from the sides. Pour coconut oil on top of it and close the lid. Keep for few minutes before serving.